CP12 Landlords safety certificate


Gas safe registered

Landlords are legally required to get all appliances and flues in their residential property portfolio checked every year provided and with a Gas Safety certificate. This safety check must be undertaken by a fully-qualified gas engineer.



So, What is a CP12?

Gas safety records are frequently referred to as CP12 certificates. This name is a little bit out-of-date – CP12 is a shortening of CORGI Proforma 12, and dates back to when CORGI were the main UK body for gas safety matters. However, while gas engineers used to have to be CORGI-registered, this ceased being the case in 2009 in the UK and in 2010 in Guernsey and Northern Ireland, and the Gas Safe Register became the official registration body after this time.

What is a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate?

So other than the name, CP12s and Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificates are the same thing, and have the same requirements – they must be provided to existing tenants within 28 days of their completion, and to new tenants before they move in. They will contain all the results of the annual gas safety checks, and should be supplemented with records of any remedial action taken as a result of the checks.


The Landlord Gas Safety Record, Gas Safety Certificate, CP12 Form, CP12 Certificate, or whatever you would like to call it, can be bought or produced from many retailers. It may only be issued by Gas Safe engineers.

Gas Safe Engineer



What documentation can I expect from a gas engineer when they have carried out work in my home?


This will be dependent upon the purpose and type of work carried out. The only documentation required by law is a Landlord Gas Safety Record as there is a legal duty on owners of residential rented properties to have annual safety checks carried out on the gas appliances they provide for their tenants' use. These safety checks must be carried out by a suitably qualified and registered engineer and the results are recorded in detail on a Landlord Gas Safety Record form with copies provided to the landlord and tenant. 

For more information on gas safety in rented accommodation you can visit our Landlords or Tenants page.


What would you expect to see on a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record?

At a minimum, the record needs to contain:

  • A description and location of each appliance/flue checked

  • Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check

  • Date on which the check was carried out

  • The address of the property where the appliance/flue is installed

  • The name and address of the landlord (or their agent where applicable)

  • Any safety defect identified and any action required or taken to rectify it

  • Confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.

Landlords also have a legal duty to maintain pipework is a safe condition, so many proprietary forms also include the facility for the registered engineer to record the results of pipework integrity tests which indicate whether or not the pipework installation is safe.

Download an example of a Landlord's Gas Safety Record


Not a landlord - what documentation is required?

If you are not a landlord it is always a good idea to confirm with your registered engineer what documentation will be provided before having any gas work done in your home, as there’s no legal requirement for registered engineers to provide any documentation. In most cases your registered engineer will provide you with some documentation as it is good practice to do so.

The level of detail provided on any documentation depends on the type of work undertaken and could vary from a simple job sheet or invoice to a record containing a similar level of detail and information to that provided in a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. So if you require something specific, make sure you have agreed this with your registered engineer before they start work.



01420 362130


7 Vyne Close Alton Hampshire GU34 2EH